Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Consumer Complaints


Filing a RESPA Complaint

Persons who believe a settlement service provider has violated RESPA may wish to file a complaint (to identify your protections by section, see RESPA: Protections and Enforcement). The complaint should outline the violation and identify the violators by name, address and phone number. You should also provide your own name and phone number for follow up questions from HUD. Requests for confidentiality will be honored. Complaints should be sent to:

Director, Office of RESPA and Interstate Land Sales
US Department of Housing and Urban Development
Room 9154
451 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20410-8000

Housing Discrimination

Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or disability. If you have been trying to buy or rent a home or apartment and you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a fair housing complaint with HUD.

There are several ways to file a housing discrimination complaint:

Phone: Toll-free 1-800-669-9777

Online: Use HUD's online complaint form

Mail a Complaint Form: You can print out a complaint form (pdf file), complete it, and mail it to:

Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Room 5204
451 Seventh St. SW
Washington, DC 20410-2000

Write a Letter: You can write HUD a letter with:

  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is about
  • The address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
  • The date when this incident occurred
  • A short description of what happened

Then mail it to the Fair Housing Regional Office closest to you.

Land Sales

The Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act protects consumers from fraud and abuse when buying or leasing land from developers. If you believe your rights have been violated, you can file a complaint by writing to HUD. In your letter include the following:

  • A description of your problem
  • The name and address of the developer
  • The name of the salesperson
  • The date of your purchase
  • The name of the subdivision
  • The lot number
  • Copies (do not send originals) of sales documents or other related information

Also, be sure to let HUD know whether or not you received a Property Report when you bought the land.

Mail your complaint to:

Office of RESPA and Interstate Land Sales
Room 9146
Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street SW
Washington, DC 20410

Manufactured (Mobile) Homes

HUD regulates the construction of certain factory built homes, called "manufactured homes" (mobile homes). If you have a problem with your manufactured home, the first thing you should do is contact the business who sold you the home, or the manufacturer that produced the home, to try to resolve the problem. If that fails, you can file a complaint. Include a description of the problem, along with copies of any correspondence or contacts with the retailer and the manufacturer to resolve the problem. Also include:

  • Your name, address and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day
  • The name of the manufacturer
  • The serial number and model number of your home
  • The label number (the red tag on the back of the home)
  • The date purchased
  • The name of the business who sold you the home

Send your complaint to your State Administrative Agency or, if your state does not have such an agency, send it to:

Manufactured Housing and Standards Division
Office of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs
Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th St. SW, Room 9152
Washington, D.C. 20410-8000

If you have questions, call toll free 1-800-927-2891

For further information, visit HUD's website.

The information provided in this website is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as legal advice. This website is intended to provide a basic understanding of this information in summary form. This information may not be comprehensive, is subject to change, and may not apply to all individual circumstances. Any information received here should be confirmed with the appropriate government agencies or with an attorney, particularly as it relates to your individual circumstances. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use.