Mortgage and Lender Complaints
Federal and State Regulatory Agencies


If you are unable to resolve your complaint directly (for example by using our sample lender complaint letter), you may want to contact the appropriate federal or state regulators and enforcement authorities. Depending upon their authority under applicable state or federal law, regulators may either attempt to help you resolve your complaint or record your complaint and recommend other action.


National Banks

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC)
OCC handles complaints and regulates National Banks (which usually have "National" in their names or "N.A." after their names).
How to file a complaint with OCC...

State Member Banks of the Federal Reserve System

The Federal Reserve Board
The Fed handles complaints and regulates state-chartered banks and trusts. It also administers the Truth-in-Lending, Equal Credit Opportunity, and Fair Credit Reporting Acts.
How to file a complaint with the Federal Reserve...

Federally Insured Non-Member State-Chartered Banks and Savings Banks

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
FDIC handles questions about deposit insurance coverage and complaints about FDIC-insured state banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System.
How to file a complaint with FDIC...

Federally Insured Savings and Loan Institutions and Federally Chartered Savings Banks

Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS)
OTS handles complaints about federal savings and loans and federal savings banks.
How to file a complaint with OTS...

Federal Credit Unions

National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)
The NCUA is the regulator for federal credit unions.
How to file a complaint with NCUA...

State-Chartered Credit Unions

If your complaint is with a state-chartered credit union, you should contact the appropriate state regulatory agency for its credit unions.

Mortgage Companies and Other Lenders

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
The FTC handles complaints involving credit reporting agencies or lenders other than credit unions, banks or savings and loans.
How to file a complaint with FTC...

Entities in the Farm Credit System

Farm Credit Administration (FCA)
FCA regulates banks, associations, and related entities that comprise the Farm Credit System, including the Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation (Farmer Mac).
How to file a complaint with FCA...

Housing Discrimination, Land Sales, or Manufactured (Mobile) Homes

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
HUD handles complaints involving housing discrimination; fraud and abuse when buying or leasing land from developers; and the construction of manufactured (mobile) homes.
How to file a complaint with HUD...

State Agencies / Regulators

You may also contact your state's consumer protection offices, banking authorities, and offices of the attorney general to complain against lenders doing business in your state.

The information provided in this website is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as legal advice. This website is intended to provide a basic understanding of this information in summary form. This information may not be comprehensive, is subject to change, and may not apply to all individual circumstances. Any information received here should be confirmed with the appropriate government agencies or with an attorney, particularly as it relates to your individual circumstances. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to be bound by our Terms of Use.